Christmas parties with friends and family are part of what makes this season so special. It’s a time for holiday magic and memories to be made. Hosting, however, can be a bit stressful. We have some simple tips to make it easier on you. After all, you should be able to enjoy the season and the party too!
1. Plan Ahead – Start preparations as early as possible so the last minute hiccups are easier to address. Make a list and check it twice! The more organized you are the less likely things will be forgotten. Set manageable tasks each day to ease the stress. Shop as early as possible and do what food prep you can a day or two in advance.
2. Delegate – Guests almost always offer to bring things, so let them! You don’t have to do it all on your own. Have your spouse and older children pitch in with the cleaning and decorating. This way you will have more energy to enjoy your party too.
3. Décor – Keep it simple. Too much décor can make guests feel crowded. Before the party do a quick walk-through for a last minute de-clutter. Make sure there are no extension cords to trip on and that the decorations are not blocking the flow of foot traffic.
4. Ambiance – Flickering candlelight is lovely. However, stick to battery-powered candles for the same ambiance without the worries of any accidents or burns. Consider putting pillar candles in the fireplace for ambiance without excess heat.
5. Drinks – Having a full bar is an unnecessary expense. You also don’t want to spend the entire night bar-tending. Simply provide one or two signature drinks with alcohol as well as soft drinks and water. Self-serve punches are great!
6. Food – Celebrations don’t have to include a big sit-down dinner. Simply serving appetizers and desserts is a great alternative. For appetizers plan on having 10 pieces per guest for every two hours of entertaining. Serve cold ones first while the hot ones are in the oven.
7. Party Eve – Set everything up the night before so that the day of all you need to worry about is putting out food and drinks. Move any furniture, put out extra seating, restock toilet paper and clean towels and decide food and drink placement.
8. Clean up – Dishes can wait! Don’t rush through your meal or constantly sneak away from a cocktail party to clean up. Enjoy the party while it lasts.
For home tours, home tips and more visit homechanneltv.com.